Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More Kitchen Renovation

I'm enjoying a beautiful morning here at the Jammi Homestead...the sun is shining and the air is filled with the crispness of early Spring.  That of course, is outside the house, where I am not.  My beautiful morning consists of starting the workday by gazing at my bank of monitors and getting ready for a day of reporting comparisons - which can actually be fun, except that after an hour of peering at the screens, my eyes are begging to be punched out.  Soon, I'll hear my contractor hammering away and the crack of 2x4s falling.  The smell of sheetrock dust will again be in the air.  Sheetrock dust, in case you don't know is like sin, it clings to everything and it goes everywhere, no matter how hard you try to contain it...it is impossible. 

But........

My kitchen is begining to take shape and is becoming the better space that I always knew it could be.  What started out as a mini kitchen remodel, has become a medium kitchen remodel and is consuming more money than having Cousin Eddie in the house.  The decision to knock out the pantry and the hall closets to add some square footage to the 'eat in' area was a good one.  I'll give you a sneak peek.  The area to the mid right of the picture is where the hall closets were.  Notice the beautiful heat/air connections for the upstairs unit....that was one of those additonal hidden and unknown costs that continue to beat my budget to death...I use the term budget very loosely, as it was blown quite some time ago.


A view of the two closet doorways opening from the hall into the kitchen.  Removing these two closets and a smaller pantry area, opens up the kitchen which was one of my major goals.   These two doors will become one opening and as a bonus will lighten up my dark hall. 


Wiring is on agenda for today. 


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Pin It!

7 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I know all about that sheetrock dust, Anita! No matter how you try to contain it, it always makes its way around the house! I'm sure once the kitchen is done, you'll forget all about that. It's going to look great!

southerninspiration said...

Oh, girl, can't wait to see more! I understand about the dust...it is indeed invasive.....everywhere!
See ya soon.
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Anita! I know you're just thrilled about your kitchen. We just had a little redo and they taped up plastic everywhere and that stupid ole dust got all over anyway! Yuck!
I can't wait to see your kitchen and it's going to be beautiful! Talk about being green! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Shirley said...

Wow, it's coming right along!! I know the drywall dust well!! There's things I still haven't found when my kitchen and dining room were under construction! You are having some major work done. Hold on, it will all be worth it.

Tanna said...

LOL! I think "sin" is the best description of sheetrock dust I have ever heard!! Can't wait to see the finished project! I know you are going to love it and we will too. blessings ~ tanna

Sue said...

I think all projects end up more expensive that they are supposed to be. There are always those unexpected "issues"! Things are really coming along for you...can't wait to see it finished!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This is going to be fabulous!