Friday, April 23, 2010

Old Dog is Definetly Trying New Tricks

Ok, it has come time to admit a few things...I'm getting old, even though I'm fighting against it and for the first time in my life, I am on a consistent daily perscription medication.....and it's time to get serious about losing weight and being more active.  I refuse to be on blood pressure medication and intend to get off it as soon as possible.  I talked to my Dr. and she suggested that I work with a Nutritionist.  I met with him last week and we talked about Quality of Life...many of us are living every day, but are we living the way we want to....what do we want to be able to do vs what we actually do...Food for thought.  For me, it is not being medicated and being able to play with my Grandbabes by crawling around on the floor and camping in a tent without my nice comfy bed, when needed.  I don't intend to be a passive Jammi - I want to be in the trenches with the little beasts, so to speak. 

My nutritionist is working with me to help me with my picky eater syndrome...I eat all the wrong things, but thankfully, I'm not as bad as I could be.  I am not a big soft drink fan and I am not a big portion eater, so believe it or not, that is extremely helpful.  Right now, we are concentrating on two things - eating 4 times daily.....Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner - and exercising 15-30 minutes daily.  The most important thing in setting an exercise routine is to establish a specific time daily and stick to the time set.  Right now, my time is early morning before I start my day and that is working well for me...I'm not consistent yet, but working on it. 

Any tips on how you keep your committment to be active every day?  Anyone else finding that current Quality of Life is not acceptable?  If so, lets grab up the headband and get in shape like Rambo...instead of camo green, how about a beautiful bright apple green??

All The Best,
Pin It!

9 comments:

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Anita...

I just read your sweet note and came right over! Wanted to thank you for displaying my SF birthday button and I would be just tickled pink to have you participate in Sunday Favorites this week!

My friend, what a great post! I have been pondering that very question for some time now. I really hate to admit it but my quality of life has not been very good for about the last 3 yrs. when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and extremely high BP. I have tried, on and off, to lose weight, etc. without much success. Two weeks ago, I decided to try again...I'm just so tired of being sick and tired! So I'm doing a low-fat...just good ol' basic "healthy eating" meal plan and I really am needing excersize but the fibro. really hinders me there. It's so good to hear that someone else is going down the same path...thank you for your post! I need that inspiration!!! I wish you the very best in your endeavours, Sweetie!!!

Have a fabulous day and hopefully I'll see you Sunday!
Chari @Happy To Design

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Good for you, Anita! I want to be the same type of Grandma {well, once the little one gets here}! Some time ago, I had picked up a book called, "Healthy Women Stay Young", which, although I was kind of young for at the time, I found the exercises using light weights really got me toned. I used to be able to do them at home while watching television. When we got our treadmill that was also a big help, because I like to walk, but not in the rain or snow.

I have a couple of little snacks in between my meals ~ the 100 calorie packs were always good for a mid-morning snack for me {before I had to go gluten free} and they are already portioned for you. Good to bring with you too, if you are away from home when you allow your snack time.

Good luck! We'll be cheering you on!

southerninspiration said...

Want an accountability partner? I am right there with you.....minus the Nutritionist. It wouldn't be as good as waking up and starting the day with YOU to exercise with, but it might prove to be encouraging for both of us!
What do you say?

Suzanne

WoolenSails said...

I was forced to eat healthy when I got food allergies, so no junk food or sweets. You get used to it. I am out of shape too, I procrastinate and hate to exercise, but I love being outdoors, so I go for long walks, paddling and biking, that way I have fun and get healthy;)

Debbie

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

You sound like you're in the same boat as I am!

The only way I can commit is to join! So, I go 3X to the YMCA -- 2 cardio classes with the seniors!! (I'm the youngest one in the bunch, and the Nice'n'Easy class is not easy at all) -- and a yoga class on Sat morning. As well, I joined a local TOPS group where we support one another to lose weight (& it's a fun group).

I too do not want to have to add medications; so I try, try, try really hard to not eat too much sweets, exercise, walk, garden and drink water. It's all hard work; but I feel so good when I do this that it entices me to stick with it.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

That Maxine cartoon is hilarious.

Girlfriend, it's all about routine. Like anything else in our lives, once our bodies get used to something, we want it. You really can get to the point where you crave exercise.

I find that if I go to gyms and workout with other people then I am highly motivated. If I'm home by myself, I won't exercise.

If there is a pool near you, try a beginners water aerobics class. Good luck and I'm proud of you!

Julie Harward said...

Mine was starting to inch up and so I got serious about walking and it went right back down. Walking at least 5 days aweek, 40 min. will bless your body like you can't believe. I've been a walker for 30 years now, it keeps me strong and healthy! Good luck :D

Sue said...

The best thing I've done in years is to invest in a Wii. I bought the Wii Fit and while I really like it, I love the Walk It Out Game that only requires the regular Wii. I walk 10,000 steps a day and I actually look forward to doing it. That is not the way I ever feel about exercise!

Theresa said...

It is easier for me to stick with a plan if someone does it with me. Keeps me going:) I hope it all works out for you, we only have one body and we just have to take care of it! Have a blessed day Anita!